The Gloucester Poor Law Union was formed in 1835 and covered the following 35 Gloucestershire parishes. City of Gloucester: St Aldates, St Catherine’s with Kingholm St Catherine’s, St John Baptist, St Mary-de-Crypt, St Mary-de-Grace, St Mary-de-Lode with Kingsholm St Mary, St Michael, St Nicholas, St Owen, The Holy Trinity. County of Gloucester: Barnwood, Barton St Mary, Barton St Michael, Churchdown, Down Hatherly, Elmore, Hempstead, Hucclecot, Lassington, Littleworth, Tuffley, Longford St Catherine’s, Longford St Mary, Maismore, Matson, Norton, North Hamlet, Over Higham and Linton, Quedgley, Sandhurst, South Hamlet, Twigworth, Upton St Leonard’s, Whaddon, Wootton St Mary – Ville of Wootton.
The new Gloucester Union workhouse was built in Gloucester in 1837-39 on the southern side of what is now Great Western Road (then called Workhouse Lane). In 1914 the Gloucester Union set up children’s homes in various parts of the city, and these continued to be used into the 1930’s. In 1929 the workhouse buildings came under the control of the local authority, and the workhouse was finally demolished in 1961.